Sports Medical Certificate
You should always be fit enough to take part in any sports events and all of the events and trips that we at Sports Tours International offer. Many organised sports events require some form of medical certification to state that you are physically fit to participate. Event organisers in the following countries will usually ask you to provide a sporting medical certificate:
Currently there is no requirement for medical certification in Belgium, Netherlands, Japan, UK, USA, South Africa, Germany, Spain or Switzerland, although you may be asked to self-certificate for certain events (such as the BMW Berlin Marathon). The following events that we offer require a valid medical certificate in order to compete:
- Paris Marathon
- Paris Half Marathon
- Mont Blanc Marathon
- Medoc Marathon
- Disneyland Paris Half Marathon
- Etape du Tour
- Gran Fondo Marmotte Alps
- Haute Route Pyrenees, Alps, Alpe d’Huez, Ventoux
The Tour of Flanders sportive, Roubaix Challenge and Liege Bastogne Liege Challenge DO NOT currently require a medical certificate
- Rome Marathon*
- Venice Marathon
- Florence Marathon
- Gran Fondo Strade Bianche
- Gran Fondo Stelvio
- Gran Fondo San Remo-San Remo (March)
- Gran Fondo Milan San Remo (June)
- Haute Route Dolomites
- Gran Fondo Lombardia
- Gran Fondo Quebrantahuesos requires a medical certificate, as the route passes through France
In France and Italy, it is the Law that you must present a medical certificate authorised or signed by a doctor to prove that you are fit enough – if you do not, then you will not be allowed to participate. In the likes of the BMW Berlin Marathon, you need to complete an online authorisation as part of the entry process.
Many events will provide a sample form that you can print out and take to your doctor. Usually your doctor will perform some simple tests like measure your heart rate and blood pressure and he can make an informed opinion based on your fitness and medical history. Some example forms are here:
If you cannot get a medical certificate from your GP for whatever reason like lack of time or cost then our recommendation is to make use of an online medical certification organisation such as Sports Medical Certificates. With online certification such as this, there is a bank of qualified doctors able to analyse the information which you supply and then decide whether or not medical authorisation can be granted. It may be more convenient than taking time off work to go to your doctor to sign the form.
Please note, Sports Tours International cannot be held responsible for any failure to produce the required medical certification. It is up to participants to organise this.
And please do not forget, you should always take out adequate and appropriate travel insurance which covers you from the moment you book your trip with us, through to the moment you return. For details of specialist sports travel insurance for our travel packages, please visit our insurance page.
*Running events in Italy
Rome Marathon enforce the rules as set by the Italian Athletics Federation. In order to encourage more International runners, there are various methods of certification that runners may apply for.
To simplify, there will be a number of options:
- Non Competitive Runner – a waiver form will need to be completed at the marathon expo when you collect your race pack. Runners who choose this option are still able to participate in the marathon but they will start from a dedicated grid and their time wont be officially ranked but only shown in alphabetical order. You will still receive your finisher medal and t-shirt.
- Competitive runners – To be a competitive runner, you will be required to purchase a run card, of which we will require a copy and complete a medical certificate and all associated test results, of which we will require a copy in order to upload to finalise your marathon entry. Note – Medical visit, test of urines (urinalyses), electrocardiogram at rest and stress test, spirography (diagnostic test as by the Italian law to be able to practice competitive sports activities – Ministerial Decree 18/02/1982)
- IAAF Membership (or similar) – Alternatively, if you are a member of a running club and have a licence from an athletics federation (i.e IAAF), you will be required to provide your licence number, federation code of your running club and a scan copy of your licence/federation card.
Run Card Link to Purchase if required: www.runcard.com
Medical Certificate Link if required: http://www.fidal.it/upload/files/Organizzazione/2019/Running/inglese_4.pdf
Manchester Institute of Health and Performance
The Manchester Institute of Health and performance offers a testing package specifically designed for runners looking to take part in Italian Marathons. All tests as specified by the Italian Athletics federation will be performed and a certificate will be issues by a trained professional. More information below.
If you would like to take the opportunity to have a more extensive health and fitness test done then we recommend a visit to the The Manchester Institute of Health & Performance. This is a fantastic state of the art facility with some incredible facilities. Not just reserved for elite athletes, you now have the very best of sports medical and fitness testing available for amateur athletes as well. Please have a look here for some more information or contact us for more information