Overland bike transport service
As part of our collection of race and travel services for travelling cyclists, we offer a convenient overland bike transport service.
We understand that not everyone is keen on taking their bike on a flight, either because they have had a bad experience in the past or they do not want to take any risks with potential damage or loss.
We therefore offer a door to door overland bike transport service for fully assembled bikes, no need for a bike box.
We offer our overland bike transport service to be booked as a stand alone service or alongside our travel packages for the following events:
- Tour of Flanders Cyclo – Saturday March 31, 2018 – £100 per bike as part of our package, £125 normal price
- Paris – Roubaix Challenge – Saturday April 6, 2018 – £100 per bike as part of our package, £125 normal price
- Maratona dles Dolomites – Sunday July 1, 2018 – £175 per bike as part of our package, £200 normal price
- Marmotte Gran Fondo Alps – Sunday July 8, 2018 – £175 per bike as part of our package, £200 normal price
- Etape du Tour – Sunday July 8, 2018 – £175 per bike as part of our package, £200 normal price
- UCI Gran Fondo World Championships 2018 in Varese – £150 per bike as part of our package, £175 normal price
- Haute Route Ventoux – 2018 Details TBC
What do I get?
Your bike will be transported fully assembled – we do not transport bike boxes or bags
This means that you don’t have to spend money either buying or renting a bike box or bag. There is also no need to get stressed about having to disassemble and reassemble the bike before travelling to and from the event. Your bike set up does not get altered in any way.
All bikes are protected by heavy duty poly bags and then covered in blankets when loaded onto the vehicles. Each individual bike is insured up to £5000 in case of theft, loss or damage whilst in transit.
Your bike is collected from a home or office address at a time convenient for you within a set collection period. The bike is then delivered to and collected again from your overseas accommodation or at scheduled times if more convenient at the finish of the event.
You don’t have to have booked your hotel with Sports Tours International.
You will not have the hassle of packing your bike up after a long sportive or taking it to and from an airport.
A reasonable collection and drop off period so you are not without your bike for too long
Normally bikes will be collected at the beginning of the weekend before the event and returned on or even before the weekend following the event.
For events taking place on a Sunday we would normally deliver the bikes in the overseas destination from the Thursday morning and we will then collect them either at the finish area or from the hotels on the Monday morning (depending on numbers).
No problem if you are not there yet on Thursday. Our staff will already be in the area so we will either receive it for you or it will be delivered to you personally when you arrive.
Peace of mind
With our professional and efficient service you know your bike will get to and from your event safely and on time.
Your bike is insured for loss, damage or theft to a maximum value of £5000 per bike. Additional insurance is available for bikes that are worth more than this at an additional cost.
Did you know?.
………………Airlines are not legally obliged to compensate you any more than £1100 as per an agreement called the Montreal convention. You can insure your bike for more but only if you do a declaration to the airline in advance. See excerpt from the Montreal convention below.
In case of baggage delay, the air carrier is liable for damage unless it took all reasonable measures to avoid the damage or it was impossible to take such measures. The liability for baggage delay is limited to 1000 SDRs (~€1,220). The air carrier is liable for destruction, loss or damage to baggage up to 1000 SDRs (€1220). In the case of checked baggage, it is liable even if not at fault, unless the baggage was defective. In the case of unchecked baggage, the carrier is liable only if at fault. A passenger can benefit from a higher liability limit by making a special declaration at the latest at check-in and by paying a supplementary fee.
Check out the ‘early bird’ deals and compare the significantly higher prices charged by other companies for a similar service.
Availability of this service
This service is available from mainland England and Wales and so excludes Scotland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, The Isle of Man, the Isle of Wight, the Scottish Islands, Channel Islands, etc. if in doubt please check with us before booking.
- Haute Route Ventoux – BOOK HAUTE ROUTE VENTOUX BIKE TRANSFER NOW
- La Marmotte – BOOK MARMOTTE BIKE TRANSFER NOW
- Maratona dles Dolomites – BOOK MARATONA BIKE TRANSFER NOW
- Etape du Tour – BOOK ETAPE BIKE TRANSFER NOW
Our other event services available without the need to buy a travel package:
- We offer an online medical certification service. To take part in the 2017 Marmotte, Maratona, Etape and UCI Gran Fondo World Championships you need a UCI license or you have to get a medical certificate signed by your doctor within the last year from the event date. For an example copy of the kind of form have a look here, Medical certificate example cycling.
- Sports travel insurance. For details of specialist sports travel insurance for our travel packages, please visit our insurance page
- Bike rental – More information here
- Airport transfers for La Marmotte – BOOK HERE and for the Etape du Tour
Full travel packages with hotel, airport transfers, guaranteed entry, staff support and more are available for the Marmotte, the Maratona, the Etape du Tour and the UCI Gran Fondo World Championships in Albi, France