Etape du Tour
L'Etape du Tour
The Etape du Tour 2015 will take place in the Alps on Sunday 19th July 2015. Replicating stage 19 of the 2015 Tour de France from St Jean de Maurienne to La Toussuire which will take place on the 24th of July. Travel packages are coming soon.
It's a classic Alpine stage with as main feature the climbs of the Col du Chaussy, Col du Mollard and Croix de Fer. Like last year there will be a sting in the tail with the ascent of La Toussuire. At 138km it is an attractive proposition for both the experienced cyclo sportive rider and the Etape du Tour novice.
L'Etape du Tour 2015 - St Jean de Maurienne to La Toussuire
Our travel packages to the Etape du Tour typically consist of the following elements:
- The option to buy a guaranteed entry to the Etape du Tour
- A choice of hotels
- Return airport transfers for you and your bike from Geneva airport
- Bike storage at your hotel
- Assistance of Sports Tours reps and mechanics
- Access to our Etape training updates from January
- Years of Etape experience
- UK bike transport options (see below)
- Etape training camps (Available at extra cost)
- Etape du Tour goodie bag
- A Sports Tours International cycling jersey
- Payments are financially protected by ABTA
We will be offering a number of different Etape packages, together with a guaranteed entry into the 2015 Etape du Tour. By taking a package tour to the 2015 Etape du Tour, you will benefit from our wealth of logistical experience in taking people to this special event.
2015 Etape du Tour bike transport option
We are also offering a UK Bike transport service, where we take your bike from the UK down to France for the Etape. This has the advantage of:
- Guaranteed delivery of your bike, as opposed to leaving it in the hands of the airlines
- No dragging around of your bike at the airport
- Convenient drop off/ collection points around the UK at Edinburgh, Stockton on Tees, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol, Slough and London Orpington.
- Up to a week to drop off your bike to the collection points, with up to a week to collect your bike after the return to the UK.
Your bike needs to be in a bike box or in a bike bag. The cost of this service is £tbc return which is cheaper than the cost of flying with your bike and paying the transfer cost at the other end too.
Please note that you will be required to bring a medical certificate with you to registration, stating there are no known reasons why you should not take part in the event.
Either ask your own doctor to complete a form or visit www.sportsmedicalcertificates.co.uk where you can enter your details for online medical certification. You must present the completed form along with your passport at the Etape registration village in order to receive your number to compete. Sports Tours International can accept no responsibility for failure to comply with this instruction, and no refunds will be given.
If you would like to read a report of the 2013 Etape, read the report by Road Cycling UK's Assistant Editor George Scott on the Road Cycling UK website.
Please be aware that the 2015 Etape du Tour is a serious cyclo sportive. It is ridden at a strong pace and if you are not quick enough, you will be swept up by the Broom Wagon on one of the climbs or even earlier, so it is important to do a lot of training in the months proceeding the event. You should be able to ride on the flat at a pace of 25/27kph (minimum) and be able to climb in the mountains at over 12/15 kph, even for the steepest sections, and your stamina really must be good enough to last the full distance. If not, you will fail to finish, which is not what you, we or the event organisers want. So, you must get yourself a good training plan or, better still, join one of our cycling training camps or spend some time training at Club La Santa in Lanzarote.
For more information about the event itself, visit our Etape du Tour frequently asked questions section.